Alex Ross, the inimitable music critic for The New Yorker and the author of The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century, has announced his second book, Listen To This, which will be published by Farrar, Straus, and Giroux on September 28th of this year.
With some chapter names like–
• Infernal Machines: How Recordings Changed Music
• Great Soul: Searching for Schubert
• Orbiting: Radiohead’s Grand Tour
• I Saw the Light: Following Bob Dylan
• Fervor: Lorraine Hunt Lieberson
–I can only conclude that he is covering a broad, broad swath of music and the broad art of listening. Something to look forward to for fall reading.